Some of us are lucky enough to own a beach house or even a home near the beach. Others spend their entire lives by the shore and still take its chic with them when they go. Those of us fortunate enough to know the salt life see the beach as a special place to relax. It helps us rejuvenate and make lasting memories with friends and family.
Coastal remodeling is a popular trend for homeowners living near the beach or those looking to bring a beachy vibe to their home. Whether you want to update an older beach house or add some coastal charm to a suburban home, there are plenty of design options to choose from.
First, you should consider the unique features of your beach house (or non-beach house) and how you want to use the space. Do you entertain frequently and need more open, social areas? Do you want to create a peaceful retreat for solo relaxation? Or perhaps you want to make the most of your ocean views and bring the outdoors in.
Whatever your goals, be sure to keep them in mind as you plan your remodel.
Next, think about style. Do you want to maintain a traditional, coastal look, or are you ready to try something more modern and minimal? Each beach house is different, and there are endless options to augment your home and personality. Here at Odom Design, I work personally with you to identify styles that speak to your sensibilities. The process is centered around getting to know you and partnering to determine the perfect compliments for your home.
As you begin to brainstorm ideas your coastal remodeling, here are 5 tips that are certain to bring more of the beach into your home (minus all the sand):
- One of the most iconic features of a beach house is the use of natural materials, such as wood, stone, and seashells. These elements bring a warm, organic feel to the space and can be used in everything from flooring to countertops to decorative accents. Consider incorporating wood beams, shiplap walls, or stone countertops to bring a natural feel to your home. And feel free to bring in seashells and other beach-inspired decor. These can add a touch of whimsy, but should be natural and subtle to avoid a cluttered, kitschy look.
- Another important aspect of a beach house remodeling is maximizing natural light. After all, what’s the point of having a beautiful ocean view if you can’t see it? Consider replacing heavy curtains with lighter shades or blinds. Skylights or windows can also brighten up dark corners.
- Remember functionality! A beach house is a place to relax and enjoy, so consider adding features that make it easier to do just that. This might include outdoor showers for rinsing off after a day at the beach, a built-in grill for summer cookouts, or a cozy fireplace for cooler evenings. If you live near the beach, it’s also important to consider how your design will hold up to the elements. Durable outdoor fabrics and finishes can help your space withstand the coastal climate.
- Choose a color palette inspired by the beach. Soft blues, greens, and sandy beiges are all great options for coastal design. These colors can be incorporated through paint, fabrics, and accents.
- Unwire from the stresses of modern life. Certainly, a major benefit of beach life is disconnecting yourself from technology. Beach houses are designed to be a respite from the pressures of contemporary life. Although it may not be practical to eliminate cable and the internet entirely, look for ways to conceal wires, screens, pipes, outlets, and other unsightly elements in order to preserve the natural beauty of the home.
Get in Touch
Whichever you choose, a coastal remodel is an excellent opportunity to update and refresh your beach or non-beach house. With a bit of planning and creativity, we can create a space together that’s both beautiful and functional, that feels like a vacation retreat all year round. Then, whenever you’re ready, contact us to determine the best path to your perfect beach home.
Until then, we’ll see you on the shore.